Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Alley, Stewart Lane

I'd been patiently waiting for the day when I could find decent churros and cronuts in Penang so when my cousin Joey posted some photos, I pounced on them faster than a fashionista at a Zara sale. The Alley is a newly opened cafe tucked away in Stewart Lane, the tiny little side street close to the Goddess of Mercy temple in town. Parking is a total pain but trust me,  it's worth it.


I liked how the proprietors retained the old store sign of the original shop which used to sell Chinese religious paraphernalia. The simple chalkboard proclaiming the soup of the day being coffee, is no joke at all. The Alley definitely serves a thick brew.


They've a small range of Malaysian-designed Pestle & Mortar tees. I was hoping that I could be able to find this pair of shorts there but no luck :(


The simple yet decadently rich drinks and desserts menu is available at the counter. Pick what you want (the friendly counter staff are very helpful), pay after ordering and your choices will be served to you. It took forever for me to choose dessert. How can you have 4 different types of choices for churros and cronuts EACH and not expect me to order them all? #firstworldproblems ... I was dithering between chocolate, Nutella, cinnamon sugar and salted caramel. I was about to eschew chocolate until the counter staff told me that this is a special blend prepared by the chef. Oh boyyy ...

There's a slight wait time for the churros and cronuts as everything is prepared freshly to avoid it from being soggy. You can while the time away by snapping photos as the cafe is chock full of photographic opportunities.

 

Oh Hubs ... what did you do to my baby?


The love of my life taking a photo of the other love of my life.


Says it all ;)


The mocha (RM11) was strong, heady and had such an inviting aroma. Considering the fact that it came in a huge cup, I thought it to be of good value. For this non coffee lover, I found the mocha to be strangely irresistible and it went well with all the food that we ordered. 


The Alley's churros (small for RM9) was s crispy on the outside and pillow-y soft inside. The chocolate dip was a perfect accompaniment though I wish there was more provided as there wasn't a lot to dunk the churros with. Hubs preferred the one at Burps & Giggles though he thought it was nice too. 


The cronuts (RM8 each) were the highlight, a cross between a croissant and a doughnut, these were soft, flaky and drenched generously with toppings of your choice (we went with Nutella and salted caramel). On the side of the plate was a small thumb sized piece of fried dough with additional sauce. Bid goodbye to your waistline, you'll be losing it for a VERY yummy cause.

Would we go back again? Absolutely. We felt that this is one of the few good cafes in Penang located in a hip, tourist-y area that had prices matching the quality of its food. This time we'll park further away so give a chance to burn off more calories walking ;)

 The Alley,
5, Stewart Lane, 10200 George Town, Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...