Friday, January 4, 2013

Gusto Cafe at Tanjung Bungah


Gusto Cafe, a small and homey cafe tucked in the Hillside area of Tanjung Bungah, offers American style breakfasts and diner-like burgers for lunch. Think fresh bagels, home made beef patties in their burgers and pulled pork sandwiches ... have these gotten you salivating yet?


I dragged Hubs and Bubs there early for breakfast and I was disappointed that the famous burgers weren't ready until 11.30am (that's when they start to serve lunch). Hubs looked at me incredulously and asked if I really wanted to chomp down on a burger with all the works first thing in the morning. Oh wellllllll ... at least I get to try the bagels for brekkie.


My choice - bagel and eggs. The bagel was very, very good. It was fresh, slightly crusty on the outside and impossibly soft and fluffy inside. It went down a real treat with the scrambled eggs.


Hubs picked French toast with bacon, banana and a side serving of maple syrup. I thought the bacon and maple pairing was a slightly bizarre and very American thing but Hubs devoured it. The bacon was really good and I could see myself ordering more of it. Both the breakfast sets come with a cup of coffee or tea each.


Since I wasn't satisfied I didn't get to try their legendary burgers, we went back again for lunch a few days later. Yes, people, the things I do to satisfy my foodie cravings.


Unfortunately they were out of stock for the pulled pork so we settled on the sukiyaki steak sandwich and the Double Happiness Burger - dubbed the heart attack for its double beef patties, bacon streaks and cheese. Was it worth the return trip back? Yeeeeeeees!

The sukiyaki steak sandwich was beautifully done, thin beef slices grilled and drenched in the most delectable tomato-chilli sauce on an open face sandwich bun. I polished this one off by myself and was almost prepared to order a second one but came to my waistline senses.

They weren't joking when they named the burger as double happiness, Hubs looked as though he was in ecstasy with each bite that he took. Made freshly from ground beef, it had an earthy, herb-iness to it and very well grilled, it was juicy and very tender. I asked Hubs, which was better - Gusto's or Marshall's? He thought about for as he chewed on his burger. Marshall's has a unadulterated beefy taste and comes with veggies, almost like a gourmet version of Ramlee burger. Gusto's patty has a more spice-herb-y earthiness to it, more like a meaty yet slightly sophisticated burger. In the end, he shrugged - why bother picking which is better, Gusto Cafe is open for lunch, Marshall's only starts at dinner time, just have both lah

Jason, the owner, is very friendly and approachable. On our second visit there, he came by our table to asked if everything was okay. We got him to describe what the Coronary Bypass burger was: imagine a slice of cheese, bacon and a patty and then ... times that by 4! Very aptly named, me thinks. For those that don't like beef, Gusto Cafe does the same patties but with pork. 

Gusto Cafe
4, Jalan Sungai Kelian, Tanjung Bungah, Penang.
Tel: +6012 595 9811
Opening times: Mon-Fri, 6.30am-3pm; Sat, 8am-3pm, closed on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...