Sunday, August 24, 2014

Lego Crayons

I was lucky enough to find a Lego inspired minifig silicon mould on eBay so I snapped it up immediately and stalked the mailbox pretty much everyday for its arrival. In anticipation, I also got a box of crayons from Daiso for our latest art project.

People, I present to you ... your tools for making your very own Lego crayon. It's so simple that even a klutz like me made it on the first go.

You'll need:
Wax crayons in assorted colours
Silicon mould
An oven/stove top


Initially I was worried that the crayons wouldn't melt properly because some people had mixed reviews for other brands but to my surprise, these Daiso wax crayons were pretty decent.


Who knew that one of the many skills I've acquired as a mummy include crayon wrapper peeling ;) Bubs tried to help but didn't quite had the dexterity yet. 

Okay, this is my own variation on how to melt the crayons. I broke them and put them in disposable aluminum cupcake holders in the oven at about 110C for 7 - 8 minutes.

Most of the instructions online suggested to just break and melt the crayons directly in the silicon mould but I was paranoid that since it was a cheapie one, I might end up creating toxic fumes or something. If you don't have access to an oven, just place the crayons in tin cans in a pot filled with water over the stove top.


Put on your oven mitts and pray that you don't spill the super hot molted wax over yourself. Tip them into the mould, be sure to fill them a bit past the brim because they then to dip in the centre upon cooling. This is the part where you'd want your kid to stay far, far away.

Leave at room temperature for about 10 mins. Then place it in the freezer for about 5 mins. This is essential to avoid breaking the crayons.

Carefully pop the crayons out from the silicon mould, the heads can be a little fragile, especially if they aren't properly cooled. The first time I broke a head, I was complaining about the waste of a crayon, why wasn't I careful enough ... until Hubs said "You know, you could just remelt it to make a new one."

Oh. 


Bubs was as happy as a clam with these colourful Lego crayons.


Bubs tested its durability by sketching with them, rubbing them with his thumb and carried them everywhere he went. During bedtime, he wanted to cuddle one to bed but accidentally dropped it onto the floor and was in tears. Until I told him, "You know, you could just remelt it to make a new one." ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...