Thursday, August 21, 2014

Going Green

I've been slowly making changes to the products that we use daily by trying to choose more natural alternatives. These are my picks so far :)


It was sooo tough trying to find a paraben, SLS-free shampoo that could thoroughly wash my hair without leaving any kind of greasy residue. After a few bottles of trial and error, the one that worked the best for us was A'kin, an Aussie brand, it was gentle and yet did a fantastic job of leaving our hair nice and clean, without the squeaky dryness. Sasa stopped carrying it a while back and I was thrilled to find huge bottles of it now at TNS Skin Lab.

Another Aussie natural product that I love is Sukin's foaming facial cleanser. Usually most foaming cleaners leave my skin flaky dry but this is an exception. Free from SLS, parabens, mineral oils and other nasties, you don't feel a full pump - just a little dot is enough to do the job. It works perfectly with the Clarisonic. I usually get the double pack from Watson and it lasts for ages. I've even used it as a body wash for Bubs when we're traveling.


After years of laughing at how old fashioned Dad is for bathing with a bar of Lux soap instead of body wash, I've come full circle and can't stop raving about using soap bars. I prefer something more decadent and Mabel Savonniere has a full range of yummy products. From beer infused soaps to ginger salt scrubs, all her creations have an intoxicating scent. Her Enrich Butter is perfect for moisturising Bub's eczema prone skin.


I've started using oils as part of my skincare regime in place of expensive serums. Contrary to popular belief, the oils are light and not at all greasy if you use them sparingly. I currently have argan oil and tamanu oil in my stash. Argan oil is mild, pleasant and is great for hair as well. Tamanu oil has such a grassy and herb-y smell that it took me quite a while to get used to it. I usually pump out 2 - 3 drops and apply on damp skin, taking care not to over apply because it can get greasy.

ps - If you are keen on trying out these oils, you can get them from iHerb. My argan oil is from Melvita but iHerb carries other brands. To get US$10 off your first order (min order US$40), you can use my code BGC004
Disclaimer: I receive a small % from iHerb for each customer referred.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...