Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Kolo Mee at Carpenter Street in Penang

I've always heard friends raving about how good kolo mee from Sarawak is to the extent that they actually smuggle, yes, you read that correctly, smuggle it back on the plane. I was really excited when my team mates suggested we have kolo mee at Carpenter Street (the name of the restaurant in Penang, not to be confused with the actual Carpenter Street in Sarawak).


Teh C Peng (3 layered tea) originated from Sarawak, I think, so we ordered this. If you think about it, this is a very delicious way of learning about density - gula melaka (the heaviest) sank to the bottom, followed by the middle layer of condensed milk and the least dense of all was the tea. To be honest, the tea was a bit too watery for my liking but then again, I like my drinks to be kau so don't take my word for it.


Simon gave a thumbs up for his fried kolo mee which he requested an upsize from the normal portion.


Carpenter Street offers 3 varieties of kolo mee: original, char siew oil and dark soya sauce. My team mates told me it tastes even better with sambal so I requested a small dish of it. I eagerly took a bite ... Heyyyyy ... wait a moment, isn't this wan than mee? They were quick to assure me that it's totally different.


Shir had the Sarawak laksa and the garnishings are separate in this picture because she's a vegetarian. I knew that laksa found in everywhere except Penang has coconut milk but what I didn't expect was that it tasted (again, only to me) exactly like curry mee *blushes*

Foods and drinks are decently priced. I've heard from numerous sources that this is the to go restaurant whenever Sarawakians and Sabahans are home sick for Foo Chow food in Penang.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...